The greatest lunar event of the year has come and we can't control our excitement. So without wasting any time, let us jump at 5 most important things that you should know about Monday's Super Blood Wolf Moon.
1. The Super Blood Wolf Moon is a combination of three celestial events: Supermoon, Total Lunar Eclipse and the Blood Moon. A supermoon takes place when the Moon is at its closest approach to Earth in its elliptical orbit. The Supermoon of January 21 coincides with a total lunar eclipse. Also, the Moon appears red during a total lunar eclipse because the blue light is scattered from the atmosphere and the light that reaches the Moon is more red in color.
2. On Monday, the Moon will appear 16% larger in size. It will be 356,761 Km away from us which is about 48,000 Km closer than its average distance.
3. The eclipse is expected to last for 1 hour and 2 minutes. Also, this is the last total lunar eclipse until 2021.
4. The entire Super Blood Wolf Moon will be visible from North and South America, Greenland, parts of Europe, Russia and Africa. No Eclipse will be visible from India, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Philippines and China. The entire map of the eclipse is shown below.
5. The full moon of every month has a traditional name according to the ancient almanac in American folklore. The full moon of January is known as the Wolf Moon. Regardless of where the name Wolf Moon comes from; wolves howl to communicate over long distances both in North America and in Europe. It is a way of saying “here I am” to the rest of the pack or “stay away” to intruders.
During the denning season in spring and early summer, wolves only howl to pack mates. As the late summer moves towards fall, wolves call more and more to neighbors and enemies. While an average howl from a single wolf lasts from 3 to 7 seconds, a chorus by a pack can last from 30 to 120 seconds and longer during the breeding season in February. So wolves are particularly loud and vocal in the first months of the year, which is probably why people associated the month of January with howling wolves.
Admin and Founder of The Secrets of the Universe and former intern at Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore, I am a science student pursuing Master’s in Physics from India. I love to study and write about Stellar Astrophysics, Relativity& Quantum Mechanics.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.